We create a strong and successful youth-led prevention group.
Fairfield Prevention Coalition
Since 2004, The Fairfield Prevention Coalition has led collaboration efforts to reduce youth substance abuse and the policies, practices and perceptions that lead to it in Fairfield. The Coalition cut underage drinking rates by 32% and is recognized nationally for outcomes.
The Coalition focuses exclusively on the problems that face Fairfield. We create a strong Youth-Led Prevention group within the schools and use evidence-based initiatives to tackle this community’s unique issues.
The Fairfield Prevention Coalition’s mission is to build and strengthen the capacity of all within the community to create a safe, healthy and drug-free community for our youth.
• To engage the Fairfield City and Township communities, parents and youth by increasing the collaboration of all to create a safe, healthy, drug-free community
• To reduce youth illegal substance use by changing the policies, practices and perceptions that lead to it.
HOW WE WORK
With a problem as multi-faceted as youth’s use of illegal substances, it takes a deep understanding of the community and its unique challenges to make a difference. A Coalition is group of individuals who, together, collaborate to achieve the same goals. Our members represent different sectors of the community and have the knowledge and power to shape policies, practices and perceptions that influence the choices that Fairfield youth make. They include:
Faith Community Leaders
Fairfield Rotary Club
Juvenile Justice System
Fairfield City Councilman
Fairfield Township Administrator
Superintendent of Fairfield City School District (FCSD)
Director of Students Services (FCSD)
Fairfield High School Principal
Director of Public Relations/Media (FCSD)
Children and Family First Council
OUR KEY SUCCESSES
Key Outcomes and Successes that make our Coalition Special
WE GET RESULTS
As measured by the Student Drug Use Survey:
Regular use of alcohol by minors was reduced by 32%
Youth who report alcohol is easy to get dropped by 25% over 6 years
Contained regular use of marijuana at 12.7% -- despite national shifts in availability and attitudes that support use.
Contained prescription drug abuse at 5.7%, despite increasing availability.
WE ARE NATIONALLY & LOCALLY RECOGNIZED
• 2008 Coalition of the Year – Coalition for a Safe and Drug Free Greater Cincinnati
• 2015: Awarded Federal Drug Free Communities Support Grant
• 2012 Ohio House of Representatives Award for Positive Community Change
• 2012 CADCA’s “Got Outcomes” Award
WE ARE THE LARGEST GROUP IN OHIO
• Leaders in Training shapes self-esteem and identity in 40 middle school leaders. They are mentored by High School Youth Coalition members.
• Freshmen Youth Coalition develops coping and decision making skills in 30 Freshmen leaders.
• High School Youth Coalition equips 100 high school students in prevention science, strategic planning, implementation and evaluation of youth-led prevention.
WE FOCUS ON THE NEEDS OF FAIRFIELD
Our certified prevention specialists work within the community, schools and most importantly with youth, to change the policies, practices, and perceptions that lead to illegal substance abuse and other unhealthy behaviors.